Monday, October 11, 2010

Sula presentation

Good Morning all,

This past week I participated in leading our class in a discussion with seven fellow students. In the  weeks prior to the assignment I studied the material, Sula; written by Toni Morrison, thoughtfully. Trying to find the rich meaning I knew lay underneath the characters in the book.

The ways I participated helping form our class discussion are: meeting after class, chatting on gmail , and email. Here's two of the most important emails I wrote :
Hello all,
Some of my thoughts: What stuck  out for me when reading  Saussure was
his description of  the game of chess  and how it relates to language.
How when one chess piece is moved during the game their is a natural
repercussion on the whole system. And... how the players ( us, the
town of Bottom) cannot see or understand the effect that move will
have.

 This reminded me of national suicide day.How the "move" Shadrack
makes effects the whole town (p.15).Also, on p. 115 Sula's "move" when
she started sleeping with married men and tossing them aside when she
was finished caused the wives to love their husbands more.
Until...Sula's death changed things and once again and the women no
longer felt the need to be better mothers or wives. As Morrison says "
The tension was gone and so was the reason the effort they had made".



We can ask the class something like this : What binaries are we
unaware of in our society? How do other peoples actions " moves" get a
reaction from us?

Just a thought. I'm still working through the whole binaries thing.
I'm fine with whatever we end up doing. Maybe, we can give a few
examples of binary relationships from the book and then throw out a
few lead questions....Like Jenni and Mary have been suggesting, or we
can some how put the two ideas together.

Anyways, look forward to chatting with you all soon :)"

 Also,"Hey Kathy,
I found where the binary's are in the book.

Pg. These pages talk about why the townspeople change their behavior
117-118, 114, and  after she dies the town goes back to being
neglectful to their kids,husbands, houses ,etc.153-154

I'm in the middle of something right now and don't have time to write
'em all out. However, they relate to what you wrote. I think we should
try to stay simple. Focusing on good/ evil and how the towns people
know how to be good because... they see the way Sula is "evil". I
wrote it down and I can show you tomorrow. Lets try and meet up before
class to go over our part :)

Don't worry about not being a good public speaker either am I. I think
it's going to be alright as long as we say something interesting :)"



The day of our presentation I was super nervous, however I think my question came out clearly and stirred some interesting class discussion. I enjoyed hearing the thoughts and opinion of the class. Also, my group was amazing. I have never worked with such an organized smart group of people before. We really came together and made this project great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment